A lustful
thought is like a torpedo, cruising relentlessly, silently under the water,
straight toward the hull of our ship. I understand that unless I take instant
evasive action, I am in trouble. The truth is that I cannot afford to let any
lustful thoughts into our minds. Enemy knows how to exploit that one little
opening until it is a gaping hole in your spiritual armour as the little
opening is all the Enemy needs. So, my plan to walk in victory over lustful thoughts
is as under.
A
Self-Defeating Fight: I know that I sometimes finish committing some lustful
thoughts and then immediately begin to question, how did that happen, what
went wrong. I was doing fine, how all of a sudden it happened. It always began
as a tiny, silent thought in my mind.
Sometimes I
tend to pay little attention to the thoughts that come into our minds. Some
come and go so quickly but others linger. Some entice and tantalize & some
are sinful and so hard to overcome. But I know that there is victory in Jesus
Christ over impure thoughts and there are several things I must do to assure
victory. My plan to overcoming is as under.
1. Break
the Trance: The first is what I refer to as “breaking the trance.” When lustful
thoughts will start to arise in my mind, I will try outwardly to break that
momentum toward sin. The situation I am in is likely too conducive then
something needs to immediately change. If watching television or using the
computer is source, I will turn it off and take a short walk to help me get my
thoughts redirected.
Colossians
3:5 says, “Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature:
sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.”
What does this mean? It means to stop feeding that thing & if anything not
fed that will eventually die, or at least lose its power.
2. Pray Continuously: Secondly, PRAY! I neglect the weapon of prayer far
too often. I need Lord’s help. The Word of God instructs us to take our thoughts captive
(II Corinthians 10:5) and the best way is to pray. It is impossible to pray and
think lustful thoughts at the same time. Prayer has the power to overcome lust.
I decides
that If I fail, I will take help from friend, or my spiritual mentor who can
pray with you. I will Humble myself and confess my need for prayer to overcome
these lustful thoughts. Such humility will the door for favour of the God. I
understand that God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. (I Peter
5:5).
3. Clean
House: Third I have decided to apply the words given by the apostle Paul: “Do not
be conformed to this world” (Romans 12:2a). Sometimes things I find like television
is the source of lustful thoughts and crush my spiritual life or some catalogues
and magazines filled with glossy advertising based on sensual appeals I will not
use them to come out of it during that critical time. So decided to have a good
housecleaning that will go a long way toward making my home the onslaught of
sensual propaganda the world hurls at me.
But
ultimately, these three steps will not produce lasting victory over lustful
thoughts but I need to go hand-in-hand with a long-term transformation of my
mind with word of God.
A Great Reversal: Romans 12:2 goes on to say “…but be transformed by
the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable
and perfect will of God.” Be transformed? What does it mean to have to have a
renewed and transformed mind?
A
transformed mind is one that draws its thoughts and motives from an
increasingly vibrant relationship with God. Any time you “put off the old,” you
must also “put on the new” (Ephesians 4:22, 24). Hollow and deceptive fantasies
need to be replaced by something more wonderful. If I proclaim the relevant Scriptures
that will renew the spirit of your mind. (Ephesians 4:23).
A new and
transformed mind is filled with thoughts of Jesus and His love as it was
revealed on the Cross. God wants to renew and transform my mind, my ugly, self-centred,
lust-filled mind and give me “beautiful mind,” one that truly pleases and
glorifies Him. I will continue to strive for the same to overcome the lustful
thought soon and walk in total freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment